Thursday 20 December 2012

To compete or not to compete...


People join camera clubs for many reasons.  Some want to learn how to use their cameras or learn the finer aspects of composition without embarking on a course at a local educational establishment.  Some however, join a camera club for the competition.

My reason for joining a camera club was very different.  I wanted to network with people that enjoy photography and it is true to say that this has happened.  In fact, some of the people have become very good friends.

One of the main stays for a camera club is its competition calendar.  Competitions take place regularly throughout the year and (in our club at least) the points are totted up at the end of the year for someone to be crowned Photographer of the Year.

In my first year of being a member, I made sure that I entered every competition.  I always entered my full quota of digital images and tried to enter at least one print.  Last year, I entered very little.  I supported the annual exhibition but did not enter the full quota of prints or digital images and I just entered a competition if I had something to fit the theme.  This was fine.  The camera club had a strong and active membership and all competitions were reasonably well supported (with the exception of prints).  However, times change and people move on.  As a result our membership has decreased a little and I worry if there is enough support for the clubs competitions.

It’s fair to say that while there was no pressure to put some stuff in for competition I have had the best photography year to date.  I completed Remnants, I changed my style of photography, I got involved with a lot of new people and of course Pixel started to do well.

To go back to competing would mean a change in what I shoot and how I shoot it; it mean’s working to tight deadlines on subjects that I may or may not care about; it means not concentrating on what I want to shoot.

Of course, I will continue to support the Annual Exhibition but this will be from images that I have shot in my style.  As for the other competitions, I just don’t know.

2 comments:

  1. Piece of your own advice back at you, the things you want to do only happen and turn out well if you concentrate on them. Your work has been amazing this year and to concentrate on competitions again would further dilute your already stretched time. Is there a middle road? Enter the competitions you happen to have shot something for and concentrate your work on the projects you have planned?

    ReplyDelete