Monday 3 December 2012

Its Cold on Top!!!


On Friday, it looked like it was going to be a half decent sunset so I thought I would go and take some images of the Abbot Stone on Boulsworth Hill.

After parking my car about two miles away from the Hill I set off along the old pack horse route across the moor.  It soon became apparent that the sunset was going to be more spectacular than I thought.

Although there was some lovely dramatic light on the Abbot Stone I became more mesmerised by the light, mist and ice show that was going on towards Pendle.  As a result I parked my backside just below my original location and pointed the camera in the opposite direction.  It was very still and very cold (-4 degrees Celsius on my jacket thermometer) but it was worth it.

As the sun continued to set I carried on taking images.  I also shot out towards Trawden and Pen-y-Ghent but my attention was always brought back to Pendle.

It wasn't long before the street lights were coming on and it was time to leave the hill but not before switching the wide angle lens for the telephoto and capturing some nice distance shots.


By the time I had come down off the hill it was completely dark and as I made my way back to the car light pollution and the night took over the sky.  I couldn't resist grabbing a couple of extra shots.

This is an exercise that I am going to have to repeat! I couldn't see in the dark and neither could the camera.  So everything had to go to manual and a system of try one shot adapt and try another.  One thing I have learnt though.  My camera can see stars better than I can!

1 comment:

  1. I am glad your camera can see night time shots better than you (or me I dare say!) That last shot converted me from a sunset lover to like a night shot, with a beautiful idea for a story to boot.

    Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete