Monday 19 November 2012

Photographing Food

Over the last few months I've been working with some friends that are planning to open an Italian Deli in Colne.  They asked me if I could help produce some product shots for their website and for print in the shop.

This was quite an interesting little assignment for several reasons.  Firstly, I wouldn't class myself as a 'foodie'.  Don't get me wrong, I love food, I love cooking and I love Italian food.  However, as much as I have dabbled in still life photography before, I haven't shot food.  The other problem is that you have to be able to present the food to an extremely high standard, especially if they are going to be displayed to advertise to companies products.

We went right back to basics with this one.  We started with the company and what it's ethos is.  Being called La Dolce Vita the owners want the company to have a very al fresco and impromptu feel to it.  Getting our heads together we came up with a seasonal theme.  We also decided that we would do it honestly.  All the shots are taken at the right time of year using natural props and food that is cooked at the time to give it a more authentic feel.

This assignment has definitely been a challenge, one that I have thoroughly enjoyed and hope will continue as the La Dolce Vita develops.  Hopefully, I will have some more news about La Dolce Vita in the near future.  Good luck to Sarah and Sara in your venture and thank you for making me put on weight!!!

It has been extremely busy lately.  I've been doing some work for Walton Lane Children's Centre and a couple of private clients as well.

The Children's Centre work has been really good.  They are developing a Forest School and asked me to create a series of images to display in the building.  So, I have been out with a teachers and a load of kids to get shots of everyday life in a Forest School.  It has been a lot of fun and sometimes quite difficult but I have come up with some really beautiful shots.  These will be posted in the very near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment