Saturday 24 November 2012

I've shot film!!!

Last week I thought I would do something different.

 Early last week I went out to Boots to pick up some stuff. While I was waiting I decided to have a look at the photography session. To my surprise they still has film on the shelf. Not just colour film but mono as well. Admittedly, it wasn't as cheap as film used to be but the temptation was too much and I bought a roll. A few hours later and I took a trip up in to the attic and retrieve my flight case with my MTL3 kit in.

On checking the camera over I found that the light meter was dead. Next day and the princely some of £2.50 later and my much loved MTL3 was back in working order. So, on Friday, I took my first shots on film for around ten years! I don't think I've captured anything fantastic, but that's not the point. The point was to shoot some film; to see if I could still do it; and, to do something a little different. I did actually shot a couple of the photographs in digital as well but that was more to compare results. A couple of things I re-learnt about camera handling with film:

 1. When you half press the shutter the camera does not autofocus or exposure lock.
2. Remember to press the light meter button.
3. There's only 36 exposures on the film. You need to get your composition right!
4. You have to wind the film on after the shot.
5. There is really no point at looking at the back of the camera after the shot.
6. How heavy is my camera bag with both kits in it!!!

 I won't know how well I have done or if the camera is still as good as it was the last time I used it until I get the film processed. Despite this, I think I'm hooked again! Not only that, I'm tempted to go in to the studio with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment