Friday 8 March 2013

When the River ceases to flow - The authoring of a photo-essay
















I've often said throughout my blog that rather than producing single images I much prefer to produce a photo-essay.

For those that are quite new to photography a photo-essay is very much like a written essay.  It tells a story from beginning to end. Of course, a photo-essay is done visually and can take many different forms.  It can be documentary; it records the story with straight record photography.  It can be a series of images linked by a common theme or it can be a series of images that have, in simplistic terms, a certain look about them.

The River has become my latest attempt at producing one such essay.  However, with this one I decided I would come at it from a slightly different angle in the fact that I would use the medium of an AV (audio visual, a bit like a film with still photographs in) to tell the story.

Before I continue I would like to point out that I am not a filmmaker and I have no intention of migrating in to the world of film.  It's just too complicated to make something that is credible and meaningful.  I will leave this to the people that are good at it!

So back on to the subject of photo-essays.

With Remnants, I had no problems.  I like history, I like stone, I like landscapes, I knew the locations.  Straight forward.  Turn up, shoot, process, job done.  The River however, is a whole different ball game.

Up to date I have covered around a third of the river that I have chosen as the subject.  There are 212 files in the project folder including 47 pieces of video footage.  Here lies the problem.  Most of the images have the same type of treatment on them; I have a look.  Most of the images show the river as it is, wort's and all. I have a story.

So where's the problem?

Well, the problem is that a lot of the images are starting to look the same.  There isn't enough variation between them to make them stand out.  And this brings me round to the point of this post.

What makes a photo-essay work?

In my opinion the aspect of a photo-essay that makes it work isn't as much the photography as you would first think.  For me, what makes a good photo-essay is the editing.  It's the photographers ability to narrow down all the shots they have taken in to a few that tell the story in a clear and concise manner.

Going back to the River then, how do I take the project forward?  Well, after a lot of thinking, sleep deprivation and more thinking I've come to the conclusion that I am going to narrow it down to around twenty images.  These images won't necessarily tell the full story and will probably be abstracts of the River.  The actual landscape aspect of the project will be shot as film and the film itself will tell the full story.

As much as I like digital, I am still quite keen to have a physical product at the end of the project.  I have kind of decided that this will be in the form of a series of prints from the project.  The film will be hosted at a gallery (that is already sorted, more information nearer the time) and then held on my You Tube account.  Expect to see a preview in the coming weeks.


By the way.  If you want to see some examples of photo-essays why not have a look at our latest issue of Pixel magazine.  Back issues can be found at Pixel's website; www.pixelmag.co.uk





No comments:

Post a Comment