Wednesday 27 February 2013

Return to the River
















It's fair to say that since the start of the project the river has become my second home.

I have to admit that I do love it.  There are so many facets to it.  One minute it is peaceful and tranquil next its loud and violent.  Whatever, there is something along the riverside that allows it to reflect your mood.

The other the river does is it never ceases to amaze you.

I know this stretch of river very well.  In fact, it has played a role in my life for the last nearly fifteen years.  Generally, its sat quietly in the background with just enough background noise to let you know that it is there.  At other times I'm in it.  Often up to my knees.

However, it is the little moments of interaction between myself and nature that keep me coming back for more.  Yesterday, it was a Grey Heron that was sat around 12 feet away from me.  At other times it has been Grey Wagtails making their way up and down the river searching for their next meal or its the dark coloured rock that suddenly climbs up on to the bank to reveal a stunningly beautiful Otter.  It's these little moments that make my visit worth while.  It's these little moments that make the river.


1 comment:

  1. For me it's not so much the wildlife that brings me back, although those moments make me smile, almost like they are tolerating me invading their living room.

    I return time and time again because of the peace I feel when I leave. Like the river takes my troubles and carries them to the sea. No matter whether the river is peaceful or grumpy I leave happy :-)

    ReplyDelete